Monday, September 17, 2012

Bill 115

Yes, this picture is a joke but what is not a joke is the way teachers are being slandered by the community, politicians and province.

Freeze my wage.  Take my sick days.  Deny my Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
But please don't slander my profession and devalue the intentions of myself and my colleagues.  

I started teaching 13 years ago.  I do not have memories of the "good old days" of teaching, I started when the public opinion and respect turned against teachers.  I don't remember the days when students and their parents were respectful.  I don't remember the days when the school and teacher were responsible for the passing and failing of students.  I don't remember the days when parents came and asked what their child had done wrong instead of first asking what I had done wrong.

What I do remember is that my colleagues have always given their best, their time, their hearts, their wallets and gone above and beyond for their students. This has not changed.  If you were to walk a day in our shoes, you too might understand just how difficult, demanding, stressful, depressing, saddening our job can be.  But above all of this, we are a group that continues to put students first, no matter the slander and vast negative opinion that is held of teachers.  Teach your children to be respectful and do so by modelling to them how to speak to teachers and to be respectful.  If you bad mouth teachers, you can bet your child will too.  Is this really the lesson you are wishing to teach?

We continue to do what we do for the students.  So please, put aside the slander, forget about the summer break, the wage, and think about what we do for your children each and every day.

No comments: