Sunday, July 15, 2012

Bingo Fun

Owen completing a journal
Every summer, I keep the boys reading, writing and practicing math.  This summer I came up with an idea to make it fun for the boys.  I created bingo cards for them to complete each week and if they get it done by Friday they earn a $5.00 allowance.  


I wasn't sure how it would go but the first morning I introduced the activity to the boys, Owen wouldn't put it down.  He completed activity after activity.  He was really motivated, and actually finished his entire card on the first day.
bingo card


I kept the activities really simple, including activities like writing a journal, making their bed, clearing their dishes, playing an educational ipod game and reading a book.  I quickly learned that I need to be more specific, and changed the bingo cards the next week to have Owen write a 2 sentence journal and to do it on a specific day of the week so that he wouldn't complete the entire card in one day.   I also added try a new food.  Owen tried mushrooms, and Griffin tried ceasar salad!


My Friend Monika tried this idea with her boys the very next week, and after years of trying to get her son to eat meat, she was able to get him to try eating meat over and over again!  


This week the boys are going to draw a fire escape route, and memorize their phone number.


No comments: